Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Final Prep for Last race of the season

Ironman Pocono Mountain 70.3 will be my last race of the season and which will be on October 2. Since Muskoka, I have put a lot of time into my running trying to get my speed back to where it was prior to the stress fracture. I can say that I am very confident that I am there. With 2 key run sessions each week, speedwork and tempo, I am confident in my abilities to run a solid half marathon during the race. I haven’t given up on my swimming although the water at the lake is getting pretty cold, but hey, its Canada! My cycling has remained at the same level as the Muskoka race. The coming week will be taper time.

The plan for the Poconos is to leave early Friday morning to arrive shortly after lunch when I will be able to go for a short run to get the legs moving after sitting in a car all day. Saturday will be like usual, bike part of the course, swim a little and get a short run in. Big pasta dinner and shut it down for the night. Sunday is Race day! This time we will be staying overnight on Sunday and returning home Monday. Planning for a solid weekend.

During the last race I suffered with some major stomach cramps which got me to think about my nutrition going into this race. I think the new drink that I was using simply had too many sugars in it which caused me some major GI issues. I have switched over to what I know works for me. I am back using GU Brew. Not sure why I switched in the first place. GU Brew gives you everything you need without the major sugar bomb. The same goes for the GU Energy Gels, way less sugar then all of the other ones. Race day nutrition will be GU Energy Gels and GU Brew with water. Morning will be a bagel with peanut butter and jam. Trusting this and will feel great. Positive thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment